Sink your teeth into these spooky and scrumptious mummy cupcakes! Indulge in the rich, moist chocolate cake that is next level by transforming them into adorable mummies. Swathed in velvety white icing and adorned with googly eyes, these sweet creations are sure to delight kids and adults alike.
Easy Mummy Cupcake Recipe
This easy Mummy Cupcake Recipe is fun for Halloween! You can also use a box cake mix for the cake if you’re short on time. And if you love pumpkin, this pumpkin bread recipe is delicious!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Bake time: 22-24 minutes
Serves: 12-14 cupcakes
Mummy Cupcake Ingredients
1 ¼ c flour
¾ c sugar
⅓ c cocoa powder
½ t baking soda
¼ t salt
½ c mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 t. Instant coffee
½ c buttermilk
½ c oil
For the frosting –
Candy eye balls
1 c shortening
3 c powdered sugar
1 t. Salt
1 t butter flavoring
3-4 T milk
Mummy Cupcake Directions
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and place liners in a standard size muffin tin. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, cocoa powder, instant coffee, baking soda, and salt.
- In another medium size bowl, combine the wet ingredients: eggs, buttermilk and oil.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix to combine well. Scrape the sides and bottom often to ensure there are no hidden dry ingredients.
- Fold in the mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake liners until they are about ½-⅔ full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-24 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow to cool for at least 30 minutes before decorating.
- While the cupcakes are baking and cooling, make the frosting.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine the shortening, salt, butter flavoring and powdered sugar. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and gradually add in the milk about 1 tablespoon at a time. Stop adding milk just as soon as the frosting comes together and is no longer dry and crumbly. Bump up the speed and mix on high for about 30 seconds to fluff up the frosting.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag. If using a tip, use a basketweave design but use the smooth side – tip number 48 or similar. A tip is not required – just cut a small hole in the tip of the bag and pipe away.
- Attach the candy eyes first but placing a small dollop of frosting right where you want the eyes, set the candy eyes and then criss-cross the frosting to create the mummy appearance.
Storage: Cupcakes can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3 days or frozen for 3 months.
Mummy Cupcake FAQs
- If you do not have buttermilk, you can also use regular milk and add 1 t. Vinegar to the milk before mixing into the recipe.
- If using a tip, use a basketweave design but use the smooth side – tip number 48 or similar. A tip is not required – just cut a small hole in the tip of the bag and pipe away.