Looking for a prom dress these days can be somewhat stressful. The more options, the better. Here are some of the best places to buy a prom dress for teens.
Where to Shop for Prom Dresses in 2023
What do high schoolers wear to prom? Usually it’s more formal than Homecoming, so girls tend to wear long dresses. I’ve also seen them wear jumpsuits, pants, and short dresses if you really want to. It’s your prom, so wear whatever you feel best wearing.
There may be dress codes for some events or schools, so make sure to look up those guidelines. Weather is also a factor on what you decide to wear. I’ve noticed a trend in some proms being earlier this year.
My oldest daughter went to prom twice last year and opted for a long dress for one and a jumpsuit for another.
- Petal and Pup – Price: Mid-range ($50-$110), Sizes: xxs-xxl/0-16, Returns: 30-day return policy
Petal and Pup carries different styles of clothing and offers dresses for different types of events. They sell a lot of affordable options.
- Red Dress – Price: Affordable to Moderate (mainly $50-$80), Sizes: xs-xl, Returns: 14-day return policy
Red Dress sells all kind of clothing, but they have a section for formal dresses on their website that are cute and trendy!
- David’s Bridal – Price: Moderate to High, Sizes: 0-30/xs-5x, Returns: 7-day return policy
David’s Bridal has a prom section on their website, but if you have a store near you, you can try on the dresses as the return policy is pretty strict. The green dress below was on sale for $70 in the store and they also have a membership you can join for an extra discount.
- Rent The Runway – Price: All different price ranges, Sizes: 0-22, Returns: No Returns as it’s a Rental
If you don’t want to spend a lot on a dress and don’t want another formal hanging in your closet, Rent the Runway is a good option, as you get to choose two different sizes to be delivered to your home. It’s also a good option if you want a designer dress.
- Macy’s – Price: Moderate to High ($50-$500), Sizes: xs-xl (a few plus size dresses), Returns: 90-day return policy
As with department stores, you’ll find all kinds of price points and selection. When shopping for Prom Dresses in 2023, we even saw they had a special Prom section with Say Yes to the Dress.
You can even try other department stores in your area like Dillards, Nordstrom, and JC Penney.
- Amazon – Price: Pretty good($50-$150), Sizes: xxs-8XL, Returns: 30-day return policy
If you have Prime, then it’s worth trying on some dresses to see if you like any styles. You can find all kinds of price points.
- Lulus – Price: Moderate ($70-$110), Sizes: xxs-3x/0-10, Returns: 30-day return policy
Lulus has a good selection and sometimes different styles come in and out of stock. It’s always a go-to place to order a lot of dresses and try on, then return what doesn’t work. Return shipping is free if you return the dresses within 10 days.
- Windsor – Price: Budget to High ($20-$270), Sizes: 0-15/xxs-XL, Returns: 14-30 day return policy
Windsor has retail locations or you can order online. For the most part, the dresses are affordable and some a little lower quality than other places, but they usually have an assortment of colors and styles.
Also check out your favorite retail stores, they sometimes stock some more formal dresses you can wear to prom. My daughter love Altar’d State and were able to find a few options.
- Altar’d State – Price: Can be expensive from $89-$189, Sizes: XS-L, Returns: No specific window listed
Good luck in your search for the perfect prom dress!