Away on Netflix is a TV series about astronauts going to Mars. Is Away OK for kids? Rated TV-14, Away can get intense in some parts. For those kids interested in space, Away may not be for them, but there are some incredible scenes demonstrating space exploration and what it takes to live in a “tin can” for years. Here’s what parents need to know in this Away Parents Guide.
Is Away On Netflix Ok For Kids?
As American astronaut Emma Green (Hilary Swank) prepares to lead an international crew on the first mission to Mars, she must reconcile her decision to leave behind her husband (Josh Charles) and teenage daughter (Talitha Bateman) for 3 years. As the crew’s journey into space intensifies and becomes more dangerous, the effects of being away from their loved ones back on Earth become increasingly complex.
Here’s what parents should know about Away:
1. There is some language including sh–, hell, sh–head, fu–er, damn, and bullsh–. Sometimes there are jokes with sexual content and include di-k and erection.
2. In the first episode, there is a scene where Emma and her husband are having sexual relations, there is some brief nudity, but no explicit body parts are shown. Also, relationships get complicated where one married female character wants to have an affair with another woman. Though their relationship intensifies, no sexual relations are shown.
3. The astronauts are often in peril. Whether in danger of their ship blowing up or them floating in space, these scenes could be intense for children. Also one character gets sick and gets injured with some blood shown. There’s also another scene where a character has hallucinations.
4. Family dynamics are complicated. When you have to leave your family for year, sacrifices are made. There are emotional scenes as the astronauts deal with these complications.
5. Kids can learn about working together as a team. Each member of the crew is from a different country and speak at least English as well as another language. Many of the flashbacks from home are conversations in their native languages with subtitles.
Is Away Appropriate for Kids Under 12?
I think Netflix’s maturity rating with TV-14 is accurate. Like I said, if you have teens interested in NASA and astronauts then they may enjoy Away. However, for younger kids, it may be boring. The dialogue is mature and the show is a bit slow-moving. While all the actors do a fantastic job, at times, there isn’t much action.
It’s great to see a female commander and how Emma faces the issues that arise. There is plenty of drama and inspiration in Away.