Last year Universal Orlando closed due to weather from Hurricane Ian. If you have a vacation planned during Tropical Storm Idalia or during other hurricanes and severe weather, here is Universal Orlando Resort’s hurricane policy regarding cancellations and rebooking.
Universal Orlando Hurricane Policy 2023
What is Universal Orlando’s hurricane policy and what can you do if there’s a hurricane or severe weather during your trip? It is similar to Disney World’s Hurricane Policy in that if there is a storm warning issued by an official agency, then within seven days of your arrival, you can cancel or rebook without fees.
Weather patterns for Tropical Storm Idalia are still being monitored, so you can also keep an eye on Universal Orlando’s app or X (formerly Twitter).
As of right now August 28, 2023, there have been no announcements regarding closures. Just fyi, the schools in the area have not closed for Tuesday, August 29th, so that’s a good sign.
According to Universal Orlando’s website:
In the event that a hurricane or tropical storm warning is issued by the National Hurricane Center or a state of emergency is declared for the Orlando area or in your place of residence, within seven days of your arrival, you can contact our team in advance to reschedule or cancel your Universal Parks & Resorts Vacations Package, hotel room only accommodations and Universal Orlando theme park tickets booked directly with Universal Orlando, without any cancellation or change fees imposed. If you have purchased airline tickets as part of your Universal Parks and Resorts Vacations package, you may still be subject to cancellation and change fees assessed by those airlines.
If you have purchased Universal Orlando products and services through third-party suppliers, travel agents or tour operators please contact them directly for information regarding their cancellation or change policies and procedures. The policy does not apply to certain special events, dining experiences or group related bookings.
We want you to feel safe and will work with you directly to best accommodate your needs. If you have additional questions or need to change or cancel your travel plans, please contact a member of our Guest Contact Center team by calling 800-711-0080.
Terms & Conditions:
- If you have purchased Universal Orlando products and services through third-party suppliers, travel agents or tour operators please contact them directly for information regarding their cancellation or change policies and procedures.
- Waiver of cancellation or modification fees applies to hotel accommodations and Universal Orlando theme park tickets when booked through Universal Orlando including when purchased as part of a Universal Parks and Resorts Vacations package.
- Please note that this policy does not apply to hotel reservations, whether booked as room only or as part of a vacation package, when made after a Hurricane or Tropical Storm warning has been issued or state of emergency is declared for either Orlando or your place of residence.
- Availability of same accommodations and room rates cannot be guaranteed for rescheduled vacations dates.
- If you have purchased airline tickets as part of your Universal Parks and Resorts Vacations package, you may still be subject to cancellation and change fees assessed by those airlines.
- The policy does not apply to certain group related bookings including special events. Guests with group rates must contact their respective meeting/group planner directly for cancellation policy.
- Guests calling to cancel or modify bookings must be 18 years of age or older.
- If you have purchased a Universal Parks & Resorts Vacations package via travel financing with Uplift you will not be charged interest as a result of a cancelled vacation due to a hurricane or tropical storm.
3rd Party Bookings
If you did not book directly with Universal Orlando, please contact your travel agent or tour operator directly for information regarding their cancellation or change policies. Universal Orlando they are only able to assist with cancellations on your Universal Parks & Resorts Vacations hotel accommodations and Universal Orlando theme park tickets (booked directly with Universal Parks and Resorts).
Should You Cancel Your Universal Orlando Vacation During a Hurricane?
As a Floridian, we’re used to storms and rain, but during downpours it’s still not exactly fun to hang out in a theme park. Universal Orlando also has a lot of outdoor rides that will shut down during storms like Velocicoaster and Hagrid’s. If you can reschedule without losing money, then I recommend rescheduling. If you have Halloween Horror Nights tickets, then you also don’t want your party to be a soggy mess.
Stay safe out there!